Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

........New Year!


Firstly I need to apologise for my lack of posting recently. It's been a hectic few months. Now we're into 2014 I wanted to share some new things in my life. 

I've always been a keen but amateur photographer and so I wanted to expand my limited skills. Our automatic compact Canon camera didn't give me enough options so I started looking into the next step. I didn't want to go too crazy by going straight for a professional camera with changeable lenses so I settled on the brilliant Sony HX-50 which has all the manual settings plus some clever intelligent automatic settings. After settling on this model my lovely partner Tom decided I could have it as my Christmas present so I've been very spoilt. 

So far I've had great fun playing with all the different settings and effects so here are a few of my experimental shots.  




 

As always one of my New Years Resolutions (or as I like to call them Lifestyle Changes) is to get fitter, and hopefully thinner, so have taken up jogging and am keen to do more walking. Last weekend we took a trip to Gloucester Quays Designer Outlet where there is a great The North Face discount shop. I've been after a warmer walking jacket that wasn't too bulky and was very lucky to find a lovely summit series windtopper soft shell which was less than half price! As a good test we decided to head up The Malverns on Sunday with Toby. It turned out to be a very good test as it turned out to be the weekend we had up to 100mph winds battering the country! The jacket was a huge success thankfully and I'm now much more confident to get out there in any weather and enjoy the outdoors. I obviously took along my new toy and played with some more photo effects.











As everyone is aware Worcester is currently going through an awful time with the River Severn bursting its banks and flooding most of the City Centre. Water levels have exceeded those of the awful flooding of 2007 and it has caused chaos with roads and bridges being closed most of this week.

As nosy residents we couldn't let all this go on without going down to the river to see it for ourselves. Again I took my trusty new camera!









Bye for now!




2 comments:

  1. Hi There,
    lovely photographs. I'm impressed by the photos of landscape and low light. I am from Malvern so have been keeping up to dates with the floods, from France. Thankfully my parents are not flooded at least not yet!
    How do you find the camera for close ups I can't work out if the zoom is good enough for my needs or not?
    I draw so Like taking close ups of fine lines and also I take landscape pictures so have need for a camera that does this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    Thanks for your lovely comments! Thankfully the floods are finally on the way down now. The HX50 has an amazing zoom. I took a close up photo of a church on a hill in Dartmouth from the other side of the river, about two miles away, and the detail was great. I've been very impressed with the camera as a whole.

    ReplyDelete