Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

.......New Year New Style!


Happy New Year!! Here's to an exciting 2013.

After closing my vintage shop down last year I have felt a bit like I'd lost a bit of my personal style. Being a vintage trader gave me quite a lot of pressure to wear pure vintage all day every day and I had two choices - choose an era and generally stick to it at all times or pick vintage pieces that I liked and mix it with items already in my wardrobe.  

   


When I started buying vintage for myself I didn't go for the whole specific era style and stuck to safer routes such as old leather knee high boots and tan leather handbags. These accessories were easy to mix in to my wardrobe of mainly high street clothes. For those who like the uniqueness of shopping for vintage items it is easy to find items which suit your particular style without going too crazy. There are those people who live their lives in the fashion style of their favourite era and I have to say hats off to them as I know it can sometimes be difficult and impractical. My favourite era has always been the 1970s as I am a bit of a hippy at heart. I try and keep to this when I can by adding some boho items to my look such as peasant blouses and maxi skirts. I think it's important however you dress to stick to styles that suit your shape as body shapes have changed alot over the decades.
 
Now I no longer have the pressure of looking like a vintage trader 24/7 my eyes have been opened a bit more to current styles and trends. I am still an avid charity shopper and its so much fun (and sometimes quite a challenge) to try and recreate looks from scouring the charity shops. It's also amusing when trends come back around that you still wear, such as the current huge velvet revival (much to my partner Tom's disgust).

This year I'm determined to make changes to my life and my wardrobe starting with a clothes clearout of major proportions! I have a bulging wardrobe and way too many clothes that I never wear or when I do wear them I feel uncomfortable. Time for a change! I've decided to stick to items I love, even if it means literally wearing them out.

I've come to terms with the fact I'm 32 now and have to choose which fashion trends I go for very carefully as to not look like a 12 year old. I'm going to focus on things I already love such as skinny jeans (coloured and denim), chunky handknit cardis and vintage hats. I'm quite content with the fact I can't carry off pretty vintage shirts buttoned up to the neck, my hair shaved off on one side and leopard print creepers.


 
 
One of my main challenges is my work wardrobe. As I generally spend most of my life in some form of denim it's quite hard choosing outfits for work. My office is quite relaxed so no need for power suits or anything but I like to look quite smart whilst still staying true to my personal style. This vintage plaid pencil skirt is a staple item in my work wardrobe together with my Russell and Bromley brown leather brogues.
 

 
 
I'm looking forward to the clear out. Stay tuned to see how I get on with my style revival for 2013.
 
PS I'm carrying on the new look for 2013 by getting my hair cut and coloured tomorrow. Again time for a change so excited about my new do!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment