Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

....Festivalness!


I love it when the summer comes around again because it means one thing......festival time! I'm not your standard festival goer as I like going to all types of different festivals from normal music ones to celebrations of all things vintage. 

This year I've booked to go to quite a few festivals both as a helper and also as just a visitor. Here are a few snaps from last years summer of festival fun.

Enjoying the sunshine at Wilderness helping out on Clare's vintage stall, Second Hand Rose





Tom playing with wigs.

At Wilderness I met Robbie Boyd from the Robbie Boyd Band . I was a bit star struck as I own two of his CDs.

At Goodwood Revival I treated myself to a professional 40s style hair do. 




I'm a bit of a hippy at heart so have a special love for the traditional folk & music festivals and will be kicking off this summer with one called Bearded Theory. It's being held in the grounds of the beautiful National Trust property Keddleston Hall in Derbyshire from Friday 17th May until Sunday 19th May. The main reason I'm going is to see my favourite folk artist and musical genius, Seth Lakeman perform on the Saturday night. Tom will be kept happy too as The Levellers are headlining on the Sunday night. It'll be the first festival which we've ever been to just the two of us so should be a nice new experience. 

Seth Lakeman

Here are a few of my festival going essentials for this summer.

I know when you think of festivals you think sunshine, sandals and shorts but I think people forget the weather isn't always hot and sunny and as you are spending the whole time outdoors, including the evenings and night times, it can get quite chilly. 


Thick wool blanket - can be used to sit on and also to wrap around you to keep you warm.

New rucksack courtesy of TK Maxx reduced section. Bargain at £7 as this brand are normally RRP £25!

My trusty Converse which will of course be saved for drier days.

An array of knitted warm things such as hats, gloves and wrist warmers for the chilly nights when  the sun's gone in.

Traditional daisy headband!

Selection of jewellery.

Essential hair products.

As is tradition at festivals I'm going to be kitted out with some fun colourful make up and hair bits.

Now here are some festival essential items for my wardrobe.

Cosy handknit jumper.

Reworked sun dress made from mens shirts made by Dirty Pretty.



My favourite recent charity shop find is this vintage M&S St Michael polyester kimono style bed jacket. Perfect to keep the sun off my shoulders and looks great teamed with denim shorts or jeans. 


Crochet shrug jacket. Handmade by me out of a crochet table runner.  

Obviously you can't go festivalling without some tie dye! I love this oversized t-shirt with gold appliqued wave detailing which I bought recently from the lovely Clare at Second Hand Rose.


I also picked up this great bleached tie dye denim shirt which will be great for those gloomier days.



Shortened Hawaiian print dress with pretty low back and bow detailing.


Essential playsuit, this one in a lovely soft navy cotton with shell pattern.


Last but not least is the much needed hat to cover up that camping hair. This beauty is handfelted with a blue and green flower attached to the back. Its nicely lined with cotton fabric too so makes it a bit more robust.



Bye for now!....off to pack my wellies.


2 comments:

  1. Splendid festival packing, my dear! I quite fancied Bearded Theory just because The Rev's playing.
    We've only 3 booked this year - Glasto, Camperjam and Green Man - a lot less than usual ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vix! Weathers not looking great for this weekend so definitely packing my wellies now! :) We're going to this one, Leopallooza in Bude and the Secret Garden Party this year. Oh and of course the vintage ones like Twinwood and Goodwood Revival. Might be tempted by Moseley Folk for a day too. Never heard of Camperjam so have to look that one up. xx

    ReplyDelete